Sometimes all you need is something light and a snack that doesn’t leave you crashing within an hour. This super basic recipe is ideal for the road, the office, or to hold you over until dinner.
Trail Mix Formula
This recipe is perfect for the raw nuts you buy in bulk, all you need to do is preheat the oven to 350 and toast any nuts or seeds you like in your Trail Mix for 5 minutes. If desired add a bit of butter and salt for flavor. The store bought oiled + salted nuts pail in comparison and leave you crashing instead of keeping you satisfied and ready to be productive.
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Half Sheet Pan & Cooking Rack
- 1/2 cup Almonds
- 1/2 cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1/2 cup Cashews
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/2 cup Walnuts
- 1/2 cup Pecans
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a half sheet pan with foil or parchment paper.
- Optional: use half sheet cooking rack.
- Measure out the desired nuts and seeds for your medley, and spread evenly across the pan.
- Bake on 350F for 5 minutes.
- melt butter and add salt to a large mixing bowl.
- If using, Remove baking rack. Use the foil or parchment paper to funnel the hot nuts and seeds into the butter and salt mixture.
- Stir the nuts into the butter mixture until they are thoroughly coated.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a tea towel and let rest for at least one hour.
- Store Nut Medley in Tupperware or Mason Jar(s) at room temperature and consume when it's time for a pick me up.
Butter acts as a binding agent for salt and other seasonings, you can sub 1 Tbsp of cooking oil if you would prefer. Variety: Add seasoning to your nuts after they come out of the oven. Sometimes all I will bake are almonds and I will toss them with Tamari. If you fancy a spicy mix try adding cayenne pepper & smoked paprika. The options are endless, I recommend using spices that you love and this simple recipe will be to die for. Additions: Perhaps your on the road or the trail and need a bit sweet in your salty mixture. Try adding dark chocolate, dried fruit, parmesan crisps, or jerky to turn your Nut medley into Trail Mix better than you’ve ever had before. Happy Trails!