The options of cooking smoked meats are endless when you have a Traeger Pellet Grill or similar smoker. The key is to pick out a tender cut of steak and season overnight if time allows it. We make a meat seasoning mixture made of predominately salt and accented with other spices we enjoy. The seasoning is similar to Original Tony Chachere’s 1977, but our version does not fill the house with smoke like Tony’s does. This recipe can easily make enough steak to incorporate with a different meal for an entire week.
- Day 1: steak with rice
- Day 2: steak lettuce wrap
- Day 3: steak quesadilla
- Day 4: steak mac and cheese
- Day 5: steak tacos
- Day 6: steak Ramen
Reverse Sear Smoked Sirloin
The reverse sear method is to heat the steak to an internal temperature that is underdone but warm. This temp can range from 115F – 135F. Once the steak comes up to temp you remove from the oven, or in this case the smoker and sear all the sides in a preheated cast iron skillet. Generally looking to sear each side for about 2 minutes.
- Smoker or Oven
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Instant Read Thermometer
- 13 oz Salt
- 3 Tbs Paprika
- 1 Tbs Pepper
- 1 Tbs Garlic powder
- 1 Tbs Umami
- 1 Tbs Chili powder
- 1/2 Tbs Cayenne
- 1/2 Tbs Jalapeno powder
- Seasoned Steak
- 2 Tbs Butter divided
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and pour into a mason jar for safe keeping
- Sprinkle and pat down the seasoning on all sides of the steak
- Optional: Let sit in the fridge uncovered for 2-24 hours
- Set the Pellet Grill temp to 180F – 200F
- Smoke steak for 1 hour and flip it
- Set your probe timer for the desired internal temperature (we go for about 125F)
- Preheat a cast iron skillet
- Pull the steak from the Grill
- Add 1 Tablespoon of butter to the skillet and begin searing the steak (2 mins on each side)
- Divide the remaining butter and spread on top of the steak
Rest & Serve
- Cover with foil to keep the heat from escaping
- Wait about 5 minutes and serve warm
- Optional: Cut the steak against the grain at a 45 degree angle and pack away the sliced steak for future meals.
- Toss if you do not eat within the week. Freezes well if you'd like to save some for later.
Temp: Steak is safe to eat at 145F / 65C. Heat for longer in the skillet if you want your steak more done, our recipe yields medium rare steak. Cost: Will vary based on several variables. If you’re lucky you might find a pack of Prime Sirloin Steak for about $7 a pound (at Sam’s Club), likely your total would be about $28-30 to buy a 4 pack.